Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Revisiting Childhood Robots

When I was just a kid, I grew up watching mecha animes like Voltes V and Daimos. At some point in my childhood I had wanted to own the toy as well. I even tried to join that Milo raffle for a Daimos toy but didn't get picked. I was not able to own either one.

Years later, my taste in animation had grown. I'd be watching Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed, Macross Plus, Neon Genesis Evangelion and other mecha animes. Toys/collectibles would be released by different toy companies and I would purchase some of them. One of which is the 2002 re-release of the Macross toy by Bandai, the VF-1S which we found in Hong Kong. A toy which I have seen during my younger years but was never able to own until now. Bandai is also the company responsible for the Soul of Chogokin series. This series made die-cast metal figures of mechas new and old. Evangelion, Mazinger Z and Getter Robot are just some of their releases. The Eva-01 was my first ever figure from that series.

May 2006, Bandai releases the Soul of Chogokin GX-31, Voltes V. Months before the release, I had been keeping tabs on it and kept watch for news of its development. I had reserved one as early as September just to make sure that I would own one. The old toy had slipped my grasp so I made sure that this one would not. The detail is amazing and almost accurate to the one on the show. Even the way it volts in is practically the same. I have some gripes about it but nothing major. I'm glad that I own it! Hehehe! =P

My next goal for the year, to own the Soul of Chogokin GX-43, Daimos! You can already find a lot of info about it online. The prototype mock-up kinda made me cringe since the feet looked too big. But the latest shots of the pre-release figure really looks amazing! It comes with all of his weapons, a weapons rack, the Daimos car and even the Galva FX-II or better known here as the Gamma fighter (Edward's fighter jet). This toy got away from me once, but never again! I already made my reservation and I'm anxiously waiting for it! :D